Monday 29 September 2008

A night out in good old london

A night out by Elliot Kay:

It’s Friday in London, and I’m out with some friends, it is getting late. It is fair to say that the drinks are going down well, and everyone is having a great time. I take a step back and look around me, and think to myself, it’s Friday and what are we actually doing?
We are out and we are trying to get approval, who’s approval? Anyone’s! I watched guys talking to guys, girls speaking to girls, guys and girls talking to each other, pretty obvious you might say, but these guys are all strangers dancing to songs they hate and acknowledging people they wouldn’t normally speak to. Because everyone is after something, what’s that I wondered??? Is it sex? Is it friendship? Is it love? A good time? Is it all of the above?

The more I questioned the more I realised the answer is inside us. In life coaching I cover the 6 human needs, but where can I see an example of them in action? Well, to see them in action all you need to do is look around on a Friday night, if it be in London or LA. You will see people looking for love, connection, certainty, verity, significance and contribution., Wow, I stepped back, am I witnessing everything at once? is that possible? And why am I thinking of this while Green Day are playing? Is it because this girl just put her arms around me and I felt loved for a minute? Was she looking for a connection? Am I growing right now? So much going on in my head on a Friday night. I think the head ache I am going to have won’t be the drink but all those thoughts going round!

I stopped myself, slow down boy and told myself: there is nothing wrong with looking for our 6 human needs, well in fact as people we will do anything to get the them met!, that’s why they are needs. We will leap over our values and compromise our beliefs. For some reason I felt guilty when I look for them and want them all to be fulfilled in a positive way, well, I don’t need to. Is it selfish to want them to be met? No! Is it about thinking about you and putting yourself first? yeah! And what’s wrong with that? Nothing. How easy was that? Very.

I then pick up my drink, take a sip, and feel sad because with all this thinking I missed one of favourite songs, what’s the song? Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day, and then another thought comes into mind…that is for next time!

No comments: